Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Days that Matter

 
Every year there are those holidays and special events that you look forward to, whether they are reoccurring or a one time deal. Some days are more significant than others...like, Christmas is a bigger deal to us than, say, Arbor Day! Easter is always a really important date to set apart. This year we had Dave's friend Jon in town, so he got to spend the weekend doing some of our Easter traditions. We went to the city Easter Egg Hunt, which is more like Easter Prizes Mass Chaos Scramble. The thousands of kids separate into age groups and when that fire truck siren goes, it is every man for himself. It's a slightly frightening and yet thrilling experience!  It was general conference weekend, so we got to listen to apostles speak as we colored eggs.  It was lovely. 
Sunday, we had a little lesson about the Atonement and Resurrection, watched the last two sessions of conference, had an Easter dinner with Evan, Amy, Mark, Brandon, Malia, Malia's sister and Jack.  Good food and good times.  It was a neat day to spend with family as we thought about its eternal significance and listened to testimonies. 
 Another very special event happened on Saturday-it was Katelee's baptism. 

Katelee has been looking forward to this day for quite sometime and kept saying, "I can't believe its really here!"  She was just glowing, cliche, yes, but true. 
She had a lot of family come to support her-all the locals and Uncle Brian flew in, Grandma and Grandpa McArthur came from Florida, Uncle Brent, Aunt Kimber and Max and Karly drove from Phoenix to spend just the one day here.  That was a lot of driving and we were so happy to have them!  Katelee and Karly (and Grant and Max) have the best time together and want to use up every minute to play together...at the expense of sleep.  It catches up to ya, or should I say them, when the tears and tempers surface after the sleep deprivation!
 
Katelee baptism service was combined with two other kids from our ward-Landon and Breanna.  The program was so sweet and really spiritual.  Grandma Carolyn did a great talk on the Holy Ghost and the highlight was all the kids from the three families singing "I Know that My Savior Loves Me." 
 


Breanna is one of Katelee's closest friends, so it was nice to share the day with her. 
Dave performed the baptism and confirmation.  It is so wonderful to have him honor the priesthood and be there for Katelee.  As she was baptized and received the gift of the Holy Ghost, of course I was moved to tears, (but just small ones), because I felt the significance of those ordinances for her and for myself.  What a beautiful plan the Lord has set out for us.  Here Katelee is in her baptism dress ready for church the next day.  Shannon was so nice and did her hair in braids for the baptism, we kept them in all night and she was Miss Curly Q.   

 These momentous days are so amazing, it is hard to capture the feelings we experienced.  But, while I can't write it down, I know I can draw on those emotions throughout my life. I know the spirit will bring to my heart and memory those feelings.  I am overwhelmed at the love Heavenly Father and our Savior have for me and my family.  Those incredible days, that Easter long ago, the baptism of my dear sweet daughter make all of our days matter.  Every week may not have a big event, but because of the Atonement, what I choose to do with each day can bring me closer to my Father.  Because of one incredible day Katelee chose to become a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and receive the Holy Ghost, her every day can be filled with His influence.  How amazing it is that those big days make all the other days matter more! 


No comments: