Friday, October 13, 2017

Jammin in Jamaica

Dave's President's Club for ADP was in Jamaica this year.  As in most years, his journey to reach the President's Club status was a roller coaster ride.  We didn't know if we were definitely going until past the deadline this go around.  It was an emotional few weeks waiting.  Dave always puts in his best honest effort and by that and some divine intervention he made it!  It was a bit more of a juggle this year as we had kids who had stuff going on.  

We flew down to Arizona with the bottom 3 little people, leaving Grant in Utah with grandma so he could attend a scout backpacking trip.  When that wrapped up, he flew solo to AZ.  Katelee flew out from Arizona the next day to come home for an Activity Days camp.  We were very impressed with our kids stepping up and having the confidence to take on a flight sans parental figures.  Of course, they had support from fabulous family up to the gate and immediately after they deplaned.  But still, kudos to them. 

As for Dave and I, we started out with a pit stop to visit our favorite Georgians...
We got to spend an evening at dinner with Curt and Anna.  We loved seeing them for a few hours before we went tropic.  

I was in heaven with our hotel room.  We stayed at an all inclusive resort in Jamaica and our room was a swim up. We could just walk out of our sliding doors right to the patio and the lounge chairs in the water.  Heavenly.  
Our evenings were filled with events with fabulous food on the beach, tarot card reading, 
hotel "Michael Jackson" entertainment.  Wow.  that was special. There was a great Bob Marley cover artist at the awards dinner.  Dave was honored with his 8th President's Club.  He his awesome!


We spent our days relaxing in the water, sitting on the beach, running a 5k that was only 1.1 miles-that's the kind of 5k I am all about!  We got to go zip lining through the jungle, but we couldn't take our phone to take pictures.  The crazy tour guide had us rappelling straight down, which I had never done.  It was freaky fun.  And, super highlight for us was swimming with dolphins!! Dave says it was his favorite activity ever.  I can't get the photos to load to put on the blog, but his expression of love as the dolphin kisses his cheek says it all.  hahaha


We always look forward to going to the local branch or ward of the church where we visit.  Jamaica was no exception.  We had plans to attend the worship service, had it all researched where to go, when to leave and we had to get written approval before.  However, the morning we were to go, we got a phone call saying it was not going to work out.  ADP security, for our safety, wouldn't let us leave the hotel property.  We were disappointed, one of the people in our party in particular.  After some time, we got another phone call.  This time, the head of security told us that "God moves in mysterious ways," and that we were now being allowed to go.  We would have a security detail escort us and take the taxi service they arranged.  We were thrilled.  
We walked into the church property and were immediately welcomed and loved.  The people were passionate about the gospel, extremely humble and fun!  They taught with with power and sang with enthusiasm and I evaluated my worship as I attended.  My testimony was strengthened, particularly when a woman came up and asked me if I attended the temple and if I would take her name to the temple.  I have done that and thought of her many times.  

We were on a spiritual high coming back and then we got ready to watch a concert where people very well may have been high!  literally.  ADP hired Pitbull to throw a private concert.  
He is quite the showman!! It was crazy energy from the minute he came out.  We had a great time!!

The next morning, we went to the airport so we could spend a couple of days in Grand Cayman.  
Um...that water was unlike anything I had ever seen/felt before.  We got checked into our hotel and zipped right out to a tour at Stingray City.  I told Dave he should go by himself.  It freaked me out. But "somehow" he had already paid for both of us and couldn't get his money refunded.  So, I decided I would at least just ride on the boat.  Next thing I know I am in the water...AHHH...UGH...next thing I know, the stingrays are swirling all around me.  

 
Please note how I wouldn't even put my hands in, and then...

I was gently holding one of those slimy creatures.  
As we learned from his dolphin swim, Dave has an affinity for slick sea creatures, so they were taken with him immediately.  
The feeling was mutual.  

We had Marriott points that we saved up to stay at the Ritz Carlton.  Dave was digging it big time, I was almost overwhelmed with the fanciness.  It was eerie how staff I didn't recall every seeing or talking to were attending to my every need and addressing me by name.  They would turn down the beach chairs, bring us chocolates, drinks and see to every detail.  We both walked through the spa and I had a massage.  It was chic and swanky.  

We spent two lovely evenings going to dinner and enjoying the ocean.   Our childless trip flew by and we went back to collect our babies.  We missed them lots, but I wouldn't turn down another chance to go on a getaway alone with this guy, just sayin!


No comments: