I mean, no two years can be exactly the same anyway, right? We may get into a routine of the same old end of the year wrap ups, but they can't ever be precisely identical. Lets just hope this finish to the school year is one of a kind with nothing like it again!
Huge pat on the back to the resilient McArthur kiddos! All finished school with high marks and big accomplishments! I would also just like to recognize my time as a full time teacher that was thrust upon me was indeed successful as well. Harrison finished his first year of school!! Kindergarten as a blast and a breeze for that kid. I need to revise that-in person school was a breeze. The struggle to focus and finish was real for Harry boy. He would get going on his curriculum and be moaning about how long it was 30 seconds into the video or assignment. He barely started work one day and then stood up for a break. He turned to me and said, "Don't judge me." Well, excuse me. It took hours to finish what should have taken minutes. At his exit interview, Mrs Chandler, his teacher asked him what he did and didn't like about school. He told her the subject he enjoyed and then said, "I don't mean to be rude, but some of your videos were SOO LONG. I mean, seven minutes?? Come on!" We are all praying for in person learning in the fall...and forever.
Brenna finished grade 4. Wahoo! While they didn't get to do a final recital, she showed off all of her dances to us many, many, many times. I think we got a good taste of how it would look on stage.
She had some socially distant dance photos. They photo shopped all the girls together (not these ones, some a professional took in studio). It is impressive how the world is being creative to make life move along, where we can.
Grant and Katelee had their final classes at South Hills Middle School. Katelee has to transfer to Oquirrh Hills Middle next year due to boundary changes and Grant moves on to High School.
What the what? He will be a Riverton Silverwolf!!! He will not be a "true" Riverton Silverwolf because that involves a kiss on the field under a full moon or some strange school tradition. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he was a premature true wolf before he even gets to the school.
I took them to the school to walk the halls reverently one last time (and collect locker items). You had to make an appointment, so that hardly anyone would be in the school at the same time. I think Grant will miss those smelly walls. I, for one, would like to forget his middle school years, so yay for being done!!
As we were leaving, the counselors and some teachers had envelopes with awards, their memory books, etc. We told his counselor his name and she handed him a few things and then told him that was it. We noticed a Science Olympiad certificate honoring Garth McAdams in the "M" pile and we started laughing. Mr Talley, the teacher of all teachers, had started calling Grant that right when he was a cute little sevie. The counselor had no clue that award belonged to Grant, but in the end he was able to take it home.
We are so excited to have some nice weather since we all need to spend our time outside and slow the flow, stop the spread, whatever you want to say.
We can't wait to spend our days lounging around in the sun in the a rigged up duct taped trashy make shift hammock. Just kidding, no way would Dave let that stay up in our front yard long. I was amazed it never dropped! Way to be clever and creative, girl.
Hopefully next year, we get to do our traditional Memorial Day extravaganza. This year, in true 2020 fashion, we had to make adjustments. We hosted breakfast at our house so we weren't in public or a crowd, but we were still able to stay outside with family. This is the first family gathering we've had since it all hit the fan. It was so fun to see everyone!
We ate yummy food...
played outside games (where Harrison dressed as wild west sheriff and spoke as a cowboy all game),
some people avoided the fun...
some others also found their divinely appointed niche even in these circumstances...
so you could almost say it was normal!
We finished at Paige's house for a BBQ and outdoor movie. It was a Memorial Day to remember.
I would like to congratulate us on making it through the two months of online school! I think a slow clap is deserved for the grit and endurance we are all developing. We are coming to know better who we are, who each other is and what lasts.
We experienced another accomplisment- our 18th wedding anniversary!! That deserves a standing ovation! I gave Dave a gift I knew would impact our lives now and in the future. It is one that I never knew would bring the home so much joy, but that's what is fun with a long going (eternal) marriage. You become comfortable with the unexpected. You expect to be changed and surprised. You know it takes effort and it pays off. So, in honor of our covid resolve, our marriage dedication and growth, we clap and we play BINGO.




No comments:
Post a Comment