Sunday, July 11, 2021

Swinging into Summer as the School Year Rounds into Home

We made it!  We made it through a whole year of pandemic education.  Bless the teachers and everyone who helped it happen!  Here is a pic of Brenna with her 5th grade teacher at Field Day...

luckily, Katelee was able to finish off her 8th grade with a brand new smile-

Braces off for this gal!  It was such a quick braces experience-on and off in 11 months.  The other people in the family probably won't be as lucky.  Grant sure wasn't.  It really was the ideal year to be a metal mouth-half the time, her face had to be covered in a mask anyway!

Spring sports bled into summer, Dave went to a Jazz game with his friend Dave
 and biggest news in sports- the Phillies took the little league championship!  
Harrison was sooo lucky to get on this team.  His coaches were great, the teammates were fun and impressive athletes.  We missed draft day so it was just by luck this red headed got to wear the red jersey.  
He is planning on playing football instead of baseball next year.  Now, I am not naturally a baseball fan, but it sure grew on me.  It mostly was because our little guy is still the most fun player to observe, but I actually got into the games.  While football may be more exciting...I have an aversion to my child being tackled or concussed, so we see what will happen.  For this year, we loved saying GO PHILLIES!

We were so anxious to put our Lagoon season passes to use again this summer.  We loved spending so much time there last year; however, this June was blisteringly hot.  This momma doesn't do Lagoon and walking around the asphalt to burn by bottom on rides.  We don't go above 84...so we only have gone once.  I just can't do it. 
Thank heavens for Rattlesnake Rapids-even if it left me sloshy and soggy britches for half a day.  I ams sure we will spend lots of fun days "here, at Lagoon."    

Back to the unseasonably warm June I mentioned...it was so hot...and we had to send our cute Katelee off to Moab for AFY.  She was a little hesitant not knowing anyone and I was anxious with the above 100 degree heat they would be frolicking in, but it turned out amazingly!!  She can't wait to do it again.  She met amazing friends, really got to know some of them, well, one of them...wink, wink.  She had a blast biking, hiking, rappelling, dancing, white water rafting, singing and building her faith.  We love she got to experience it.  

I picked her up and she was crying saying goodbye...so I was crying.  But, anyway, yay for AFY!

We sure have missed church programs and camps with the covid restrictions and we were over the moon that we got to plan and execute Youth Conference this year!!  We had an Olympic theme to pump us up for the world wide sporting event coming up.  The youth were split into teams (designated by color and bandana) 
and they competed and worked together as we camped and bonded. 
 
Katelee was on the blue team, Grant the red.  I don't know why Cameron was wearing Grant's bandana, he was on a different team, maybe so we could all have a more glorious view of Grant in his box braids.  I told him he looked exactly like Darla from Finding Nemo...I mean, its like his twin.  
We capped it off with a float down the Provo river-which was hilarious and freezing.  It was a (nearly) perfect Youth Conference.  It was so fun to be there with my oldest two kiddos-making those memories.  

We came home just in time for the fourth of July celebrations 
(like this sweaty parade- we got some free froyo coupons, so it was worth it)
I love our city during the summer- they put on the parade (that I try to not go to, usually due to the melty conditions), they host a Rodeo- we channeled our inner cow folk and cheered on the riders 

 and they have the best firework show.  We love having Paige and her family, Shannon and Grandma join us every year.  Grant had to work but he only had a few more shifts left  at his beloved Iceberg.  He would not refer to it as that, but we think it has been a great place of employment.  On to Target to check people out and grab those carts! Let's hope for a family discount, eh?

Brenna, Harrison and I visited the master fry maker on his last day and he gave us the royal treatment.

We spent some time in the mountains
 to beat the heat with some awesome cousins from AZ.

Brandon and Malia brought their family to stay with us and everyone had a blast.  We were hoping Sloane would love Dave as much as she did during spring break, but she has since changed her tune for him.  We will win her over next time! 

These two buds are only 3 weeks apart, so they have a lot of fun together!  Good thing Harry gets to visit Jack in July and they can spend even more time hanging.  

I love when my people want to spend time with me...sure it may have been because there were cousins or more exciting company, but I like to tell myself it was an opportunity to be with me they didn't want to pass up!  Ha!  Yea right, I know they are very busy with their social and work lives so I take every minute I can get.  






 

No comments: