Monday, June 6, 2022

May the Force Be with Us

We always need some extra force when April/May roll around.  Wrapping up a school year and fitting in all the activities is crazy!  Brenna had dance comps and recitals and solo performances and it is exhausting, but she loves it.  We are looking into trying a different studio next year so all these final performances with Rocky Mountain have been a bit emotional.  

We do love seeing the people perform and enjoy all their sports.  Harrison continues to be our sports enthusiast and spends all his extra time drawing/designing uniforms and logos.  He has been playing basketball at recess and comes home to tell us how each game goes.  He came home upset the other day and when reporting the recess game, he relayed that he he was swatting the ball away from people trying to shoot.  He was very adamant about how that is perfectly legal and everyone else was able to block the shot and swat, but no one would let Harrison because he's just too good.  He collapsed into tears while telling the story and exclaimed "curse my basketball skills!"

Katelee had tears of JOY when she got to join the lacrosse season for the last few weeks after sitting out with her broken wrist.  
She had such a fun time and can't wait to play next year...hopefully the entire season! She was filled with even more excitement when she passed her driving permit test!!  Are we ready to train another driver??
  Not my fav part of parenting, but alas, she is thrilled.  These kids are growing up and are hardly recognizable to me.  I still picture them as little babes but here they are driving and dancing and dating and being shot down because they are just so skilled.  hahaha  

I did want to be unrecognizable at a recent youth activity.  We took our youth group to the mall and they had to play Where's Waldo with some of the adults in the neighborhood.  My friend has wigs and costumes galore, so she made me a blonde
I walked right by so many of the teens and they had no idea it was me.  It was on May 4th so one of the adults felt like her disguise needed to be Star Wars themed...which was perfect but pretty easy to spot!  

I loved coming home even more because Dave and Harrison had to do double takes.  They didn't even know what had happened that night and didn't realize I was incognito.  They didn't approached me cautiously, even in our home, unsure if I was indeed Kara McArthur.  It was so funny.  

Our annual Petrick Family Memorial Day extravaganza was a rain out.  It rarely happens that we can't go to the park and do all our outside activities, but we made do and played Jack Box games with Rachel and Toren's device and played with their new babe Forrest.  The kids had a great time loving on their new cousin, as is apparent by Harrison's face in this pic...although I think they were making Forrest have ridiculous faces on Snap filters, but still it was with love.  

End of May-end of school for some of these guys.  It was a big end of school for Miss Brenna.  She graduated elementary and is ready to hit the pits of despair in middle school.  Just kidding, some people love those junior high years, here's to hoping Brenna is one of them! 

We snapped a couple pics of her with her friends at their clap out...which wasn't really the last day of school, so that was slightly weird.  They didn't actually end until June, but it was still momentous.  


Every school year we take a deep breath and fall on to the couch (or floor) thinking 'we did it!'  Then, we realize there is so much ahead and a summer full of days to keep them all busy.  I know we aren't alone in this journey, but I will definitely admit I need more than the force with me!  I need God's help and often a good Diet Dr Pepper!

 

No comments: