Summer has been going according to plan...lots of sun for some, lots of sunscreen for others, as exhibited in this side by side of my leg and Katelee's.
Katelee started off this month traveling down to Lake Powell with her friend Berkeley and family. Berkeley invited a couple of guy friends as well, which turned into Katelee bringing home a 'buddy' for the summer. We missed her during the Fourth of July celebrations
I mean, who would choose Lake Powell over that delightful image?
Independence week was full of fun- a movie with Jaylee and Porter
the local parade followed by swimming and sparklers
at our neighbors, the Sanchez's.
The morning of the 4th was a family 5k beginning and ending at the city park. I have been doing some jogging/walking each week so I thought I would join the peeps this year.
Harrison pretty much killed it, coming in 3rd in his age division and he didn't even know he was doing that well. He wanted to go faster, but he stayed with Dave- so next time that 1st place may be around his neck! I, however, am fairly certain my feet will never be the same. I mean, I did great, but the dag gum plantar fascitis has got me good. Checking that off my list.
We love eating at our house and enjoying the fireworks with family on the 4th, but it was a crazy one- a fatal accident, a gun shot fatality by police after the show as everyone was leaving. Brenna went with friends to the carnival a night later and there was the full police force surrounding the rides...it was unsettling.
The next week was GIRLS CAMP for my ladies.
When Katelee asked to go to Lake Powell over the 4th I made a deal with her that she had to go to her LAST girls camp and do it without any complaints...cuz I had been hearing grumbles. And so she started off with her sis and a smile.
Brenna had a great time and when I asked Katelee if she liked it she said, nope. hahaha! But, I had so many people come up to me after saying how impressed they were with Katelee. She and I had a discussion before about how at this age, as a youth leader, camp and much of life isn't about just what we want but being there for the others and making it great for them. And she did just that. Our little neighbor came back thinking Katelee is a bestie, an adult leader said she watched Katelee make bracelets and serve the little gals for hours in pretty much a crafting sweat shop. She may not have loved it, but she made it so others could and I adore her for that.
Brenna had another camp (third for the summer!) up at OFY in Idaho. She was so brave and went all by herself-without a friend or roomie.
She got to do a ropes course, white water raft, skits, etc. All the campy stuff. She called homesick one day which was super sad, but when I got up to Idaho to pick her up at the end of the week she was good.
Would she do it again? No she said she would not...but she learned a lot and stuck through it, growing and finding the good. Very proud of this little camper who now finished up all the camps and could spend fun time at home and doing dance, of course. We were happy to have her home for the Demolition Derby and annual Bees game we go to each summer.
Harrison got to do a couple night campout while the girls were gone. There was a minor moose attack, but Shannon and Paige saved the people and all was well.
Next year he may have some YM activities/camps to keep him entertained, but this year, we had to keep looking for things. He and I had a taste off date...(I would happily encourage this activity again ;) )
While Brenna was at OFY, I took him and his buddy to the float preview,
and he has been trying to keep up with his ballin skills.
Katelee was MIA for most of July- Powell, Girls Camp and then the trip she has been waiting for TONGA!!! It was her turn to have a humanitarian experience (as Grant went to Columbia when he was 17) she chose the South Pacific Isle of Tonga....
Dave took Katelee out to LA in the morning to meet up with her group at the airport. They shopped and went to a nice dinner place and then he dropped her off. Right before she was boarding, she called telling him she forgot her camera in her bag at his hotel, and she had literally 20 min before her group would be loading onto the plane. He called me and asked if he should even attempt to get it to her and I said, 'if anyone can do it, you can.' It was a literal miracle of catching an uber just as he walked out, getting dropped off in the right place, having a break in a line, a worker not noticing he wasn't flying til tomorrow, a kind employee letting him through and a mad dash in flip flops to her gate. He explained it to me like a group of people were chanting, clapping and cheering him on as he met up with her...she may explain differently, but miracle of miracles, the girl got her camera, and that made her (and us) so happy.
I won't be able to give the trip recap justice, so I will just give some highlights. The group started off with some play time in a mud bath and fun in Fiji. They got to spend their first weekend exploring a private island, which was just magical.
During the work week, they worked hard. Digging, rebar, hauling, sweating and smiling. That was what the trip was all about- building and connecting with the locals there.
They got to spend evenings at mutual activities, family home evenings, a luau, and her most favorite local activity- an intense Rugby game between the HS teams on the different islands. The championship game ended in a rainstorm and wild chaos as the home team barely won. Katelee said it was the most hype event she has ever been to and loved it soooo much.
The Tongans loved this service group and adopted them as friends and family...and possibly potential spouses! haha. Katelee came home moved by the love that was extended by complete strangers who came up and hugged and accepted and adored them. Katelee did have one extreme attack by gluten. She said it was the worst that has happened in years and it took her out for a good day or two.
Luckily she had an incredible trip leader, Jenna who took care of her and Katelee made an eternal friend with a girl, Liv who stayed by her side and kept her company while others did the work and events.
The absolute adventure of the trip was incredible- the private island, the clear waters, the cave swimming, etc. But the best part was hearing about the love Katelee experienced. She developed lasting friendships that can cross the country and the world. She was immersed in a culture that throws its arms open to engulf each person. She was able to see how people live and are content with a completely different environment and econmic status and she was able to see how we all are one. Trip of a lifetime!
No comments:
Post a Comment