Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Winter seclusion

For many people, January is their least favorite month of the year...the holiday happiness seems to have passed...it is bitter cold out in many parts the country...and according to the paper, the most depressing day of the year is the third Monday in January. I try not to take offense to that since that day has fallen on my birthday a few times that I can remember! As a January born Aquarius, I have to disagree. The snow is beautiful, I love cuddling in a blanket and drinking hot chocolate. But, I do see the challenges that January brings. We are in our house nearly all day everyday. Yesterday we had a play-doh sculpt fest while Katelee slept, we had a cooking experiment, we had music time today, story time, and now I am ready for the "kids entertain themselves while I read a book time"...but that is not so realistic! Anyway, we are making the best of it!

We were in the kitchen being serenaded by Michael Buble when the "How Do You Mend a Broken Heart?" song came on. I was singing it to Grant and he said..." Oh, a broken heart, yea." He leaned in and kissed me and then said, "Chicken nuggets." So, there you go folks. Maybe the cure for the January doldrums, a broken heart, any sort of hardship is chicken nuggets! Or maybe I just discovered that Grant will be an emotional eater like his mommy!

Grant's new phrase that he likes to spout off is, "How dare you mommy!" It is funny, but don't let him know that. He is not supposed to say that anymore. Katelee is just keeping herself busy tearing my house apart. She feels that it is her duty everyday to pull every book off every bookshelf and empty out any drawers. Why do I let her do that? you may ask...because that means I have a few minutes she is not pulling on my leg for me to hold her, and she enjoys it...no harm done. Anyway, best of wishes to everyone for 08!



5 comments:

Cara said...

Ditto on the January thing. Our birthdays, hot chocolate and cuddling in blankets with my kids watching movies, you can't beat it. I love the pictures of Katelee and Grant. I also get asked why I let Peyton take everything out of drawers and cupboards, and you said it perfectly. So, we for sure have to go out for our birthdays!!!!! Hopefully not on a day it's not frigid and snowing.

Cagney and Laci said...

I love your new layout! Very cute! I cannot believe how big Katelee is getting. January is a hard month because it involves scraping cars, never wanting to leave the house to go to the gym or anywhere for that matter, shoveling drive ways, and wearing layers upon layers creating more laundry. But there is something nice about getting more things done in the house and spending time with loved ones and catching up on all the movies I've miss out on!

Dubb Days said...

Seeing your cute kids and how they interact makes me beleive I might beable to handle this whole having two kids thing! Grant and Katelee are lucky they got ya!
hol

Kev and Aubs said...

Cute kids. I too agree that letting kids make messes every now and again allows us some freedom. We need to have a play date soon.

Anonymous said...

Hey Y'all! Love the pics of everyone.....Katelee is quite the cutie-pie!! And Grant, well he is definitely David McArthur's boy! Yes David, that's a compliment. Y'all make some beautiful kiddies!
Here in the good ol' south (Georgia), we have our ho-hum days in Januray too, but I only can imagine dealing with the chilly weather & snow all the time. It's all good because we have loved ones to share it with. :-)
Hope your '08 is awesome!!
Love & Hugs,
Aunt Anna & Uncle Curt
(and Droopie too, of course!)