There are moments in our lives that change us. It may be when we are introduced to someone new, when someone we know is no longer with us, when something is diagnosed, when a choice is made, but a moment or day that alters the path we thought we were on. I have thought a lot about this recently. Challenges and heartaches that are not foreseen seem to smack us in the face and our reality becomes different. We can't go back and remake a decision, but there are things we can hopefully prevent from happening again. I am learning this in my day to day sojourn and I would like to now apply this to a certain two year old. It's time to discuss Brenna.

Brenna came to us with a lot of spunk and ambition. Hanging from chandeliers and walking at 8 months is no small feat. While it is not uncommon for a child to climb out of their crib, I was unprepared for the distress it would cause in my day without my restful slumber. Little B has mastered the art of crib entry and exit and as of late would swing open her door in the middle of the night (say 2am) and insist on staying up for hours. We were frustrated and exhausted and debated on a crib tent, a door cover, etc. Last week, I just switched out our door handle from the bathroom with her bedroom handle. Now I can lock her in. The first days were rough. She would use her little fist and pound against the door saying, "Knock, Knock. Out momma." She stubbornly refused to re-enter the crib, but sat in her baby shopping cart until I would release her from her room. As I type this, she is slumbering away peacefully. So, I think our efforts have paid off. I laid her down after reading her favorite book, and she said, "Knock Knock, momma. Stay in bed." That's her way of retelling how last week went. She had said the first phrase, and she has my answer drilled in her brain. What a difference in our happiness a night of rest makes!

She has grown up a lot this month, her language switch has flipped on and we are fully conversing now. My niece claims that while she was babysitting Brenna, Brenna wrote her numbers 1-5. She has yet to repeat that (well, for me, at least!); but with Brenna, I don't know that I can put anything past her! Next step: potty training.

I wanted to get a picture of Brenna when she jumped in Katelee's bath with her clothes on, and then Katelee made this disturbing face. It's an image I may not get out of my brain, ever!
4 comments:
Brenna makes me laugh! I LOVE that she got in the bath with all her clothes on! And sooo happy she is sleeping again for you "I happy!"
Wow, good for you for sticking to it and her catching on (or giving up) so quickly! I really am impressed and happy for you. No, you don't want to put anything past that girl! It is always nice to know that I am not the only mom ready to pull her hair out sometimes!
Oh and Katelee's birthday sure looked fun. I like it when they choose a family activity instead of party, don't you?!
Oh and we still need to catch up on the phone :)
Oh how true! I love your stories of all your kids and am not sure I'm up for the nights of no sleep again. Ready or not, here we come and I may call you to see how you get/got through it!
Ha! I just really LOL'd with that last part...very funny :) I can't believe how big she's getting!! We all need to hang out sometime :)
Post a Comment