She begun her educational journey into kindergarten just yesterday. I couldn't even talk to her about it. I got her ready, told her how much I loved her and would be thinking about her all day. I gave her a penny, just like I did on Grant's first kindergarten day. I told her that if she was ever nervous to just rub it to know she is so loved and she would be in my mind every time she touched it. Well, girls' cute skirts don't have pockets, so she couldn't tuck it away and discreetly touch it like Grant could...so it got stashed in the backpack. Truthfully, I don't think she needed it. She told me she thought about me all day, but when the time came for her to run into the classroom, she sprinted towards the door. I had already given her a hug before we got to the playground in case I didn't get another chance, but when that whistle blew and Katelee, excited as could be, rushed to join her classmates, I couldn't help myself...I lunged at her arm and pulled her to me. She looked at me like I had lost my marbles, I mean how many times did she have to say goodbye??! But, after one last kiss and hug, she was out of site and I scooped up Miss Brenna to finish my cry in the car. I am a baby, I know, you would think #2 wouldn't be as hard as your first. Really, it probably wasn't, but I think you gear yourself up for all the milestones your oldest has ahead, and before you know it, the subsequent children are there too. On one hand she seems like she is too little to start, but on the other, I know she really is so ready...I mean, look, she too can rock the peace sign like a tween...
Our miracle: The night before K started school, I had to take a phone call and Dave got dinner going for the kids. After I finished my call, I joined the family, got lost in our wonderful dinner discussions (wink wink...it's usually more like, "Brenna, stop walking across the table!")...and I turned to look at Katelee's half eaten plate. I gasped and exclaimed "Dave!!! A flour tortilla?!!?? Her first day of school is tomorrow!!!" He had accidentally made Katelee's quesadilla with a flour tortilla instead of corn and our little celiac head can't tolerate that. After hearing that outburst, Katelee threw down her food and sobbed. She was beside herself crying out that she would be sick at school. She really does get violently ill, frequently just from a contamination of a crumb of gluten. Well, Dave had planned on giving her a priesthood blessing to start school anyway, so in his blessing, he included a promise that she wouldn't get sick....and she didn't-at all!!! Such a great blessing and faith promoting experience for us. So far so good, so I have a feeling that this school year is going to ROCK!!
No comments:
Post a Comment