Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Halloween Happenings

Halloween day always seems to be hectic...getting the kids up and ready, fully costumed for school.  Then there is the school parade, the preschool program, the class parties, neighborhood dinner and off to trick-or-treating.  Phew!  But, it's always a fun time! 
 
Earlier that week, we had our annual Halloween dinner.  This year, we dined on mummies, a veggie skeleton, clementine pumpkins, with the witches hats and Spiderweb cake for dessert.  The cake was gluten free, but like all gluten free things I slave over, Katelee maybe takes one bite.  At least she knows she is worth the work!!
 
Brenna chose to be Cinderella this year.  Her demure princess choice is ever so deceiving, but adorable.  Yesterday while changing Harrison's diaper, I was on the phone.  I believe that little Brenna thought I couldn't hear what she was saying as I talked to her dad through the receiver, but I clearly heard her say (cue demonic voice, for real) "I am going to hurt you!"  This expression was directed at the baby and said while she squeezed his little fist as tightly as she could.  I stopped her and told her I heard what she said.  At that moment, the princess voice came on and said, "I just said I was going to hurt him!"  Princess sound sweet, but they don't lie apparently. 
 
Princess Cinderella was delightful in her preschool program. 
 
 
Costumes were super-low maintenance this year.  Katelee has been under the impression that she just goes through the dress-ups and picks something.  This notion has been passed to Brenna, as well.  I wasn't going to correct that, so she opted for her little mouse costume she was when she was in Theatre School over the summer.  Love it!  She was an adorable squeaker!  Yes, Brenna is showing off her chest here, at least she is wearing a shirt underneath, I suppose!
 
 
Grant wanted to pick something scary, of course.  I sent Dave and Grant to the store to pick something out and he came back with this terrifying outfit/staff and mask.  I made him throw the mask away because I almost starting crying it was so disturbing to me.  It even had blood to smear all over.  Dave claims innocence, I ask, where was your common sense?!  Grant, however, was happy with the spooky make-up I painted on him.  He did find time to frighten me, though.  Early one morning before school, I was sitting in my bed nursing the baby.  No lights were on, and I wasn't wearing my glasses, so everything is foggy or blurry.  I kept thinking the door was slightly moving, but sometimes I freak myself out like that when I can't see.  After deciding, yes in fact, the door was moving, I notice a black shadow slinking along my floor.  I kept calling Grant's name, but he didn't answer.  He abruptly stood up, costume on, with his hands raised high and fearsome and started laughing.  He is SO lucky I was already awake because if I woke up to that, I would have attacked him ninja-style.
 
Baby Harrison's costume was the hit of the night.  Shannon whipped up a Gryffindor scarf and let us borrow a black cardigan, a little face paint, and VOILA!
 Our Harry was the most adorable Harry Potter that ever graced the earth.  Doesn't get better than that!  I had tried to talk Grant into being Ron Weasley, but he obviously wasn't on board.  My friend pointed out that Ron Weasley doesn't even want to be Ron Weasley, so it was a long shot.  We dubbed Grant's character to be a Death Eater, so we still had a bit of a Harry Potter theme.  Costume discussions for next year have already began, but I doubt we can ever find one like I more than the boy who lived right there! 

 





4 comments:

Shannon said...

I have been just laughing so hard at this post! I think even tears were streaming down my face, I was laughing so hard. I love that your kids are so hilarious, but I also love the way you write. You tell the stories in such a way that I can picture it & actually hear Brenna's demonic or princess voice telling Harrison she is going to hurt him! The costumes turned out great!

Tammy said...

Ahhh!!! I am DYIING at the Harry Potter costume!!! So dang adorable! I wish I would have thought of it when Brian was a baby! and so darn funny about Ron Weasley not even wanting to be Ron Weasley. Haha!

Lisa McArthur said...

So, yes, Russell and David are definitely brothers. I don't send Russell with the girls to pick out costumes any more. Had to send him back with scary masks and such a few years ago. I have gotten a good laugh for today reading your blog. I needed that. Thank you Miss Ninja!! The kids are adorable as always!! Never a dull moment in your McArthur home!!

Dubb Days said...

Best Harry Potter ever!!
Oh I love you!