Tuesday, January 6, 2015

December's Doings


 So, December has come and gone and with it another year.  Man, I'm sure I say this every year, but where does the time go?  And how in the world did I get here?  The questions of how did this all happen I wonder on a more frequent basis when I look in the mirror and see a grown up and not the 21 year old college student I feel like.  And four kids?!  I sometimes feel like I am just playing house.  Here is what our play looked like last month:
Brenna had a glorious dance recital.  She had her performance smile plastered and loved being on stage.  She loves to dance and she loves feeling beautiful, so recitals are days she lives for.  

Harrison got his first haircut:
He was unsuccessful in his attempts to avoid the razor.  Poor kid and his double cowlicks.  Those little swirls are going to severely limit his hair styling options in the future!  But, he came out with balloon and sucker in hand looking like a big boy.  
The kid thinks he rules the roost.  I can't keep anything clean, but if he is busy and not hanging onto my leg wanting to be held, I encourage the destruction...to a point.  Harrison loves me A LOT.  I know all babies adore their mommas and moms in turn, are enamored by their little ones.  But, this boy really really loves me.  He doesn't have stranger anxiety, its not a clingy-ness due to fear, he just looks at me with unconditional adoration and needs to be with me all the time.  As tricky as that can be, I am trying to soak it all in because before I know it, he will be 4 and asking to have another family (like someone else I know).  
He really does bring so much joy to our home.  I hope I can adopt that open love...loving without restraint, making it apparent on my face when my family walks in how happy I am to be near them.  I wish I could capture the innocence and joy forever...so I have to document it, so I know it was real!  

Holiday festivities were in full swing, of course!  We had preschool programs, 
a ward party, work party, caroling to a rehab center.  Christmas wishes were made-like someones two front teeth!  (How often does that timing really work out!?)
I do not enjoy looking at the teeth hanging by threads or twisting in mouths.  It makes me grossed out.  So, when my kids start tying strings to their teeth and the other end of the string attached to a door knob or bow and arrow, I run and wait for them to show me the result.  

We went to our annual Christmas with Santa breakfast.  It was delightful! Minus me seeing a kid spew all over the floor...at least it wasn't one of our children, I guess!
Christmas Eve party at Grandma's was fun.  With Brad's family in Colorado, Becca in China, Rachel on her mission, and Paige and Jason in California, numbers were smaller.  But, at least we had some reminders of the Cali family...
Christmas morning was extra magical because all month long we were longing for snow.  The kids woke up Christmas to a blanket of fluffy flakes ready to play in!  (After presents and breakfast, of course).

 I had a few favorite parts of Christmas this year.  First, I love the books Katelee makes.  She made the sweetest present for Grant:

It warms my heart when my kids show each other that they do indeed care about one another!  That was the other best part of Christmas.  I think the most excited each person got was when someone was opening a present they purchased.  Like this little stick of deodorant Brenna was thrilled to find at the dollar store for dad!!
 But really, they ran to each other and hugged and were so grateful...it was a proud momma  moment.  We hung out and played all day, rode around on unicorns...
 read books in Santa jammies that dad said can never be sported again!  I can't believe it!  I think Harrison looks mighty jolly!
 Played Legos, Clue, watched movies and just chilled.  It was fantastic!!
 We loved having the two week break from school, staying up til midnight for New Years Eve and getting moved to 11 am church!  Wahoo!  While I don't know where time has gone, I do know that I want to appreciate each day with this crew of mine.  I want to live 2015 fully and with purpose!  May it be one of our best!

 




2 comments:

carolyn said...

Harrison THINKS? he rules the roost?
In case others don't quite get it about him LOVING, LOVING his mother. I've never seen one that loves their Mother as much as he does!!!

RaeLynn said...

I LOVE that last picture of you guys. Your December was a lot like ours--insane. But in a good way :) P.S. I'm so glad to be blogging friends!