Monday, February 9, 2015

Double Digit Dude


A decade ago, I was learning how to be a mom.  Fast forward ten years and I am still trying to learn how to be a mom!!  But, it has been an amazing and eventful decade and we got to celebrate the boy who started it it all!!

Grant turned the big 1-0 a few days ago!  He had a really busy fun filled week!!  On Monday, Dave took Katelee, Grant and his best buddy, Matthew to see the Harlem Globetrotters!!!  It was an awesome birthday activity (so I hear!).

The kids came back laughing, telling me all about the players, their tricks and the one who wore a skirt as underwear...not so sure about that, but they claimed it was true!  

 A couple of days later, Dave and Grant were back at the Energy Solutions Arena with Grant's junior jazz team.  All the teams got tickets to an NBA game and so we pretended that they organized it in honor of Grant's day of birth!  Ha!  The seats were apparently the second row from the top.  Dave could only handle the nosebleeds for so long.  By the second half, he had convinced Grant and Mikey to find some empty seats closer to the floor.  The Jazz lost, but the night was a win!
 The next day was the actual birthday.  Grant requested Dad's buttermilk pancakes for breakfast, so Dave obliged.  After school, he got to go to his first Webelos meeting and played outside until the birthday dinner was ready...quiche for dinner and a donut cake for dessert!!


Grandma and Shannon came and as you can tell, he was delighted by their gift-a Kandama.  Apparently, they are all the rage right now.  He has been showing us all the tricks, I can't remember most of their names, but many of them have animal references... so he sounds like he is practicing his zoo techniques nicely!  Who knows?

He also got a new watch and a huge bike.  I mean gigantic.  We shopped and decided he is pretty much into grown up bikes.  What?!  When did this happen?!  I sat up the night before his birthday and looked at old pictures, thought about the memories we've made with him over the last 10 years, and I got a little teary (shocker!). My arms ache for that chubby little red headed baby with the puckered up lips. I miss that sweet little 3 year old stinker, asking for toilet paper as a gift, or the 5 year old Star Wars Jedi twirling light sabers to his very own sound effects.   I can't believe it's been two years since he was baptized.  I miss that little fella, but boy can I say how we are loving this little man.  We had some interesting phases and I know there are so many more challenges to come.  He is a good hearted boy and I have treasured every minute and smile with him.  We sure love our Grant!!!!  Because I know the time passes oh so quickly, I let Harrison do stuff like this everyday:

It drives Dave crazy!!!  Ha Ha!





No comments: