Sunday, March 27, 2016

A Birthday, Easter and other Egg-citing Events


 Today is Easter and it has been a fun and special day.  But, lets not start with today, lets take an Easter bunny hop (bwahaha) back to the beginning of March.

The Provo City Temple completed construction and was open to the public recently.  We visited this historic and beautiful building as a family.  It was the first time all of us were in the temple together and it was great.  I want to say it was a highly spiritual experience for all, and there were times when it was.  There were other moments where say, one of the little people was bored and asking where the "play place" was inside!

I am grateful for the little glimpse of eternity we had that day.  

Brenna and I had tickets to Frozen on Ice.  It was a blast!  She may have covered my mouth when I tried to sing along, but all in all, it was a fun show.

We didn't get to meet the characters, I mean they were busy hobbling around on skates, you know.  But, on another occasion this month, the two littles and I got to meet Darth Vader.  
Harrison is obsessed with Star Wars, so our neighbor invited us to their elementary to be a part of their reading rewards event.  I thought he would be ecstatic.  Nope, mostly he was terrified, but he did hum the Imperial March for the remainder of the day...for real.  

Katelee and Brenna spent two weeks enrolled in community theatre school.  
\
We love this program and were so happy to get to do it with friends from the hood.  Brenna was a little Siamese child in a scene from "The King and I."  Her dramatic scene was from 'Cinderella,' where she wowed the audience as a little mouse who exclaimed "Cinderell-y".  Brenna loved her acting debut and we loved watching her. Katelee was a bush, yes she was covered in greenery in a dramatic scene from "Wiley and the Hairy Man."  She also had a lot of solo singing parts in a song from "Flat Stanley" called "I Wish I Were."  She was a star!  It was spot on and fun.  She nailed it!


She had a really fun week because shortly after her performances-our lucky lady turned 9 on St Patrick's Day!! We always have a lot of fun on her birthday in our green motif.  She was awakened  earlier than normal due to the smoke detectors when I was baking her muffins (more on our kitchen smoke fiasco later), went to school for Grandparents Day and came home for dinner with Shannon, Grandma and our family friend, Linda. 

Katelee had been anticipating her gift for ages.  She had big dreams of owning a mini moped scooter.  We told her if she saved $100, we would cover the rest.  So, she did.  She worked, she saved and she did it! The response was as bubbly as we expected.  
She zipped around and has been riding it daily.  Her little bro and sis are always hitching a ride.  It is a lot of fun!

Of course, there was cake
 
and ice cream and other gifts from family.  We also got a surprise visit from Gage,so that made for a fun night.
It was an all around fabulous day.  Katelee decided not to have a friend birthday party, but to spend an evening with her familia at a new rock climbing center for kids.  Funtopia has all sorts of walls and adventures to explore. 
 
The big kids had a blast.  Dave ended up taking Harrison to the park and gas station because we knew that harness and scaling up a wall 
was not going to happen for him.  Brenna at age 2 probably could have done it (without a harness), but it just didn't feel right for him!  After our hour time slot was expired, we went out to the birthday girl's favorite restaurant-California Pizza Kitchen.  


Katelee is extremely dramatic-hence her success in theatre school!  She is so smart, kind, helpful and very goofy.  She is always there when I need her and very creative.  We love her dearly!!

Dave traveled quite a bit at the beginning of the month.  I thought I would start off our dad-less weeks with a bang...or with some flames, at least!  

This...
resulted in ...

Yea, I tried to clean that batter out, but most of it got into the slots where the gas ignites.  When I turned on the cleaning cycle, the entire oven was flaming.  The door was locked, so I couldn't use the fire extinguisher.  Smoke was coming out the sides, back and knowing it was gas, I thought I better just call the fire dept.  While smoke was filling our main floor, every detector beeping, Harrison was just laying on the carpet watching tv with his hands over his ears.  I told Grant to grab Harrison and run to the Taylor's so we could call 911.  I turned off the cleaning cycle, got outside and Grant expressed concern for all his stuff.  He told me it has taken YEARS to get all those legos.  I told him I was so glad he grabbed his brother instead.  In a truly touching moment, he said, "I love him more than legos."  That's a lot!  The girls came home from theatre practice to the excitement.  The fire burned down, no firefighters needed.  We slept with smoky eyes, but we were safe!  phew!  Plus, Grant said as he was running with Harrison in his arms, he felt like a hero.  So, picture in slow motion Grant shielding Harrison from the terror as he dashed to safety.  That's pretty much how it went down in his head.  

Speaking of super heroes...
There is this tough dude.  He loves Captain "Murica." 
Apparently, he also loves Elsa... hey, she is a hero too!
\
Now, we are to the end of the month.  March Madness is appropriately titled because I kind of feel like that's how our past 30 days have been!  We have been focusing on Easter for the past week.  We had a small egg hunt at grandma's last week when it was family dinner, went to the city egg "hunt" (which is just chaos, but they love it!), had a family devotional this morning, basket finding and a special day at church learning about our Savior.  Here are the peeps all ready for Easter service...
 Dave did a photo shoot with  them while I was at choir...I'm laughing at this one below because he was trying to be all professional cheesy photo staging, telling the big kids to look adoringly at the little people.  Of course, Grant couldn't do that.  I can only imagine what face Brenna is making.  
They bring me joy.  Pull my hair out, 'I don't know if I can hold it together some days' kind of happiness.  I am thankful they make me grow and want to be better, to access the grace of God and be magnified in my roles.  I am eternally grateful for our Savior and his miraculous, charitable life.  He gave himself willingly, He is perfect.  He loves unconditionally.  Because of Him, all things are possible.  

 His gospel gives me perspective and peace that can't be duplicated.  I hope my kids all come to know He is the world's true hero.   

No comments: