This post is way past due. I'm not sure how it is May already. I have no doubt that time is literally flying by. We are enjoying the beginnings of warm weather-the ups and downs of the temperature that spring in Utah notoriously brings. While I am no green thumb, I have really enjoyed our flowers this year. We had a good couple of weeks of full bloom tulips, crocus, hyacinth, daffodils. So, now my yard can go back to looking pretty dismal for the other 11 months! A true gardener, tree and flower keeper would have beauty year round, I guess.
The kids had their annual spring break to kick off this promise of heat with a week off of school. Dave and I had been planning a little get away for a half of the week, but we kept it under wraps from the kiddos. We kept trying to throw them by planning potential activities and it totally worked. I packed the night before our trip, we loaded up the car while they slept and at 6:15 we woke all the littles up. We didn't tell them where we were going, but had them guess and they were loving the anticipation. Katelee had a hand me down shirt from a neighbor that said SEA WORLD on it, so I told them there was a clue on Katelee's shirt. When they saw Sea World, Katelee squealed as did Brenna, followed up with "What is Sea World?"
The highlight of the entire trip for Harrison was riding on an airplane. He loved both legs. Nearly everyday of the past month he has talked about going back. He wants to get on an airplane and go to "San Diego Utah." He sat in the window seat both ways and marveled at the scenery. It was so cute.
Right off the plane in Cali, we got our car and headed for Sea World. It is the last year of the Shamu show. Yes, I was slightly morally opposed after watching BlackFish, but it was really neat. That's a discussion for another day!
We saw the Killer Whale show, the sea lion and otter show. Harrison totally slept through the orcas, but I didn't feel like his life would be totally ruined enough to wake him.
Brenna said the shows were so boring while we were there, but since we've been home, her tune has changed. She just really wanted to ride the rides!
I guess I didn't realize they had so many rides. Fun stuff.
Of course, we were amazed by many of the animals there. The beluga whales were my favorite. Some of the animals grossed me out. I was not alone in my disgust. I hesitate to swim in open water because sea creatures truthfully give me the willies. So, the touch aquariums are not places I spend a lot of time. Sea World has a large area of cleaner fish. Brenna and I braved their nibbles for a minute (we counted). Dave tried to get Harrison to stick his hand in and you would have thought we were trying to murder the child. His hand has yet to be touched by those aquatic life! Katelee, Dave and Grant let those little suckers chew away. It was kind of gross.
The penguins were cute. We walked in to their habitat and Brenna (not quietly, of course) said, "Mom, whenever I smell your butt. This is what it smells like." I guess penguins smell like roses. Who knew? Yea, it was slightly embarrassing...but pretty funny.
The next day we went to the USS Midway museum. It was really neat. The kids put on their headsets, answered questions and earned their wings.
We wandered the air craft carrier, read and learned a lot! Most of the volunteers had served on the Midway, so it was neat to hear of their time. We also saw a yacht crash into the dock as we left That was crazy.
After lunch, we went to Coronado to the beach.
It was a little chilly, but that certainly didn't stop the kids.
Beach days are awesome! Especially when you go straight from the cold water to the hotel pool to warm up!
Our last day we headed to Old Town and the Mormon Battalion Museum. I wish we would have had time to meander Old Towne, but the Museum was stellar.
We panned for gold and had a great time.
We had the urge to head to the beach for just a bit longer, so we rented a surrey and pedaled around.
I felt like we were quite the circus, but a good time and good workout was had by all. Actually, no, a good workout was had just by the parents!!
On our way to the airport we stopped at the Corvette Diner. They were out of the gluten free options that we had guranteed Katelee, so it was an emotional meal, until dessert was brought out...
That made up for everything.
We seriously had the greatest time!! It was a quick get away, but definitely memorable.
Pulling off the surprise was really awesome! Seeing the kids happy and making memories is the best!!
It was a short and sweet trip and then back to real life! Grant had a huge capstone project with Providence Hall. His exhibition was all about celiac disease. He organized a Fun Run to educate the students at the school about the disease and then did a presentation on exhibition night. We were so proud!! It was pretty heart warming that he picked celiac. He learned a lot about working with people and what to do when they aren't so reliable! Ha!
Spirit week brought us a couple of rockers.
And, ADP (well, their wonder rep David McArthur) recruited these little ladies for CPA day.
We've had lots of soccer, diving, and dance going on. Grant and I went on a date to Peter and the Star Catcher (which was really fun), but I had to view it in my prescription sunglasses because I forgot my glasses. My handsome date wasn't even humiliated that I was wearing sunglasses in the dark! What a great family I have who loves me despite my penguin smell and tendency to wear dark glasses!
No comments:
Post a Comment