Dave qualified for his work's President's Club this year-props to him!! So, we got to go on a Hawaiian vacation. In flew Dave's parents to attend to the little people who reside here and we were off. It was a little stressful leaving because our air conditioner stopped working the day before and we did not want to leave with everyone melting. Luckily, we got it fixed. I didn't even want to tell my mom the a/c turned off, she wouldn't have come over for her 2 night shift!
We went a day early to the Big Island of Hawaii. We got there in time to stop by the Kona LDS Temple
and eat dinner watching the sunset. We went on this same ADP trip to the Big Island 8 years ago. In 2008, we also stopped by the Kona temple. But, I have to say, we are not looking like the spring chickens we did in the picture from years before. Despite how unreal it seems, we are indeed aging. Good thing we still know how to have fun!
The next morning, Dave had arranged for me to get a massage and pedicure at the fanciful Four Seasons. It was lovely. However, for pretty much the entire month of July I was sick. I believe I had walking pneumonia. I was barely feeling up to anything right before we left. Hawaii was going to be just the place to get the rest I needed! Well, lying face down with congestion pooling in your nasal cavity is not a stellar idea. I spent the first half of my massage trying keep the boogers from dripping right out of my nose on to the floor...yea, a couple escaped. My masseur, Nicky, the man also thought my body needed a unique experience that involved stretching past the point of no return. It was very sweet of Dave to pamper me. He is awesome!
We checked into the ADP hotel after we wrapped my spa experiences. They had arrangements at the same hotel we stayed at on the Big Island before. It's a huge resort with a tram or boats to take you to your wing. The first night was the opening party...pina coladas, food, fire dancers, hula dancers all sorts of island fun. We met up with Dave's coworkers and enjoyed the event.
The next morning, Dave did the ADP 5k fun run.
He got 4th place...I think (in the old man division!). Sam, his coworker got second over all. I met him after his run and we had breakfast, followed by horseback riding. The Big Island has extreme climates-where we stayed was always hot, dry and on black volcanic rock. The ranch, only 45 min away, is green, on rolling hills and continuously foggy and misty. It was a nice change. My horse was somewhat of a horse brat and whenever I 'asked' it to go a certain way, she would stop. Every time. Naughty Bella.
We made it back to our hotel in time to change for our night snorkel with Manta Rays. That was pretty much a life bucket list experience. So amazing. We held on to a floaty that had bright lights attached below that shone into the water. The lights would attract plankton, which in turn attracted manta rays. We saw one or two and were in awe at their size-8 to 10 feet span. Mid way into our snorkel, there were 4 or 5 just flipping around and skimming right along our bellies. You would be watching one and another would surprise you and be right up along your face. It was phenomenal.
The next day we had a zodiac ride to a snorkeling spot. It was super fun. Our ride back took us through some lava caves. As you can tell, our snorkel masks may have been a bit too snug!
Awards banquet was next. Salt Lake was region of the year so all the office that qualified got to be recognized on stage. That was neat for Dave.
They had a hoppin party after with band, we were dancing,
filming a slow mo video and getting glamified at the "Glamour Bar." I felt like I was in the Capital from the Hunger Games!
Our last ADP day we ventured out in a rental car to an overlook
with a hike to a black sand beach.
This section was really rocky, but there was a good stretch of soft black sand. We brought some home in a bottle for the kids. It made TSA suspicious at each airport. I promise it was just black sand.
ADP knows how to do a trip right! We were pretty worn out and excited to extend to Kauai for a couple of days and just chill. Our first day we spent driving the island. We did hike to Queen's Bath.
We should have got in the water, but it was pretty rough. I thought those boys were going to be slammed against the rocks or swept out to sea!
Kauai we focused on getting some recommended cuisine. We ate at Verde, Puka Dog, the famous ice cream place I know can't recall the name of, Uncle's Shaved ice and Duke's. Obvioulsy, food is a very important part of our vacations!
Our hotel was right at Poipu Beach.
Saturday night we went on a dinner cruise up the Napali Coast. That is breathtaking. I don't take great photos anyway, but even a great photographer couldn't do it justice.
There were lots of spinner dolphins out jumping around, putting on a show.
The coast was incredible, the setting oh so dreamy, so it was Dave's favorite part of Hawaii. He is such a romantic!
Sunday we went to church, and it was great as always. Visiting wards while we are on vacation is one of my favorite parts of travel. It gives me perspective on the universality of the gospel, of God's love for all his children, how we are all connected, the endurance of truth across lands and the ultimate joy the gospel is. Plus we got to sing that Aloha Oi song at the end...so, pretty great Sabbath. We finished our time driving to Waimea, the Grand Canyon of the Pacific.
It was a stormy, cloudy day so we had a very brief view! But it was pretty cool. I told Dave I was not ready to come home, but boy did I wish I hadn't said that. Delta airlines had a computer system shut down just as we were trying to leave Honolulu. We had connected from Kauai to Oahu ok, but as we were on the tarmac to come to SL, we sat for a couple hours on the plane, then more hours in the airport, only to find out world wide Delta was down. We were given vouchers for a hotel, taxis and we were stranded for a day in Oahu. If we hadn't been up all night and then had to take a red eye the following night, maybe it would have been cool to have extra Hawaii time. But, then we barely made it home, had another delay in LA, saw people screaming and melting down in the airport. We were so grateful when we made it back. Hawaii is fabulous but nothing beats home sweet home.
No comments:
Post a Comment