Right after we returned from Hawaii, it was time to wrap up summer. The night before Grant started school we went to the shaved ice cart nearby. All the kids ordered-they chose their flavor, told the workers their names, and spelled them out so it could be written on the cup. Brenna passed on her request to the shaved ice professional and Harrison confidently ordered a "green with apple" snow cone, told them his name was Harrison and proceeded to spell his name "D-E-E-I-O-U" The employee responded politely with, "makes sense." And, as we all laughed, we realized Harrison was not ready for school as opposed to these cute people:
Grant started 6th grade and is AT THE MIDDLE SCHOOL. Yes, I cried, because this is my reality-I have a tweener. He is becoming a mini man and loves junior high. I hope the terrible teen world better treat this boy well!
After much serious consideration and heavenly consultation, we decided to switch schools for the girls. Grant will be moving to the regular district junior high next school year, but for various reasons, the charter school wasn't feeling like the right place for the little ladies. So, they bravely began a new school this year as well.
I watched them board the big yellow cheese wagon (yay-they ride the bus!) and my heart dropped a little, but I was and am confident they are in the right place. So, bring on new adventures and no dress code! Whether that is a good thing or bad is debatable!!!
Every year I think about how I hope the teachers, kids, pretty much the world realizes what special people my littles are! Harrison began a prayer the other night with, "Dear Heavenly Father, it's me, Harrison..." while so stinking cute, it made me think how great it is that He knows us and He knows my kiddos. No matter what happens at school or work or wherever, I hope my children feel their parents love-here and heaven!
The first day of school was Mr. Harrison's birthday! The big number 3.
Harrison is quite the fella. He seems to be our biggest baby at his age-he is hanging on to tantrums like they are a necessity to his existence. He spends many nights buckled into his car seat until he calms down and will go to bed. He is a screamer and constantly crying. But, the truth of the matter is everyone adores him...could be part of the problem. We love him to pieces (but still look forward to the tantrums to pass!). His catch phrase is "What the freak?"
We waited for the kids to come back and took them to Jungle Jim's for high class rides and fun.
Bumper cars was the ride of choice. They rode it over and over. Katelee was hilarious. She hardly did anything else. She would finish up a round, get back in her car and close her eyes for the entire duration. She just let the bumps and crashes steer her.
Grandma met us there for the last little bit and braved the fast spinning ride, which is no joke. We finished up at home with pizza and cake (Harrison is OBSESSED with Captain America. He wears the costume daily, he acts out the fight scenes, he owns multiple shields and has even forced me to make up a jingle that we sing all the time). So, we had a Captain America shield for a cake.
Of course, ice cream was involved, as well!
We were banking on a successful Captain America party, but he was just as happy with his Batman gifts. He actually refused to do anything Captain America for most of the night, ah well. He was back to being Cap the next day.
Katelee and Brenna were so cute making homemade gifts for their favorite little brother. Brenna constructed a base for his action figures out of a box and Katelee spent loads of time on this life size Captain America doll, out of cereal and ziploc bag boxes. It was adorable.
So, the kids are back being busy with school and homework and dance,activity days, scouts, merit badge clinics, flag football, soccer, play practise and friends. Harrison found the beginning of school to be an opportune time to refuse naps. Lovely. So, he spends much of his time being bored and watching more tv than his siblings did at his age. I have tried to do some fun activities with him...
We went to the farm with his friend Maya and her mom. He rode the horse Luna and keeps talking about her. He attempted to feed the horses, but as they got close to licking his palms, he would chuck the oats at their faces and run. Sounds about right.
Another friend took us to the zoo, where he got to ride the train
and carousel, see animals and climb/ inappropriately touch the statues...
Oh dear...
Of course, the kids think it is unfair, despite my assurances that we did excursions like that when they were little too, but that's not reality to them.
So, we are back in the routine. Luckily Labor Day was just after school began and the kids got to take a couple of days and spend it at Snowbird.

We look forward to going to the condo all year. It was beautiful as ever and amazing how refreshing just 20 minutes up the canyon can feel.
We look forward to going to the condo all year. It was beautiful as ever and amazing how refreshing just 20 minutes up the canyon can feel.
So many days I sit back and wonder where the day went, and then continue on to where did the year go? or the decade? My reality is no longer having babies or being pregnant. This is my reality:daily frustrations at dinner because what I make is disgusting apparently. We started discovering carrots lining the floor in the bathroom or the basket on top of the potty where the wipes are. Now, there is an inspection of hands and mouth before someone is excused from the table to the restroom. The other night, Katelee needed to use the facilities but we were not sure there wasn't some wad of dinner in her cheek ready to be spit out, so we had her open her mouth. After she was cleared to leave, Brenna said, "Check her bum, that's where I hide my food." Lovely. OR how about the real life experience of being in a worship service at church in front of the perfect family, reading inspirational stories together, the children quietly paying attention and ours are fighting over emoji stickers I got at Walmart. I found myself saying, "There is poo for everyone." "Give your sister back the poop." "Share the poo." We totally had a spiritual experience that Sunday-HA!!
We are learning to serve and share and put others first, or at least compromise, the beautiful lessons of being in a family and community! The other day we were watching a friend's little girl who is the same age as Harrison. Harry had first pick of what they played...
We are learning to serve and share and put others first, or at least compromise, the beautiful lessons of being in a family and community! The other day we were watching a friend's little girl who is the same age as Harrison. Harry had first pick of what they played...
While it wasn't what Harrison's typical reality is, he seemed pretty content with the alternate one! Ha!
1 comment:
Oh Kara! I love to catch up and read your posts! They always brighten my day. This time my kids were reading with me and they were cracking up! Bree said, "When do we get to go visit them?" I told them someday I hope!
I tried calling you this last week because I happened to have a few minutes, but alas I am sure you did not!
Anyhoo! Good to see you all are doing well!
Love ya!
Holly
Post a Comment