Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Tricks or Treats

October has come and gone and was full of tricks, treats, delights and spooks!  We love this time of year and used every minute we could to enjoy the glorious weather and fun. We went to Cornbelly's 

one night and also Trafalga.  Both locations had activities and haunted alleys or haunted houses.  I dragged Harrison into the inflatable creature at Cornbelly's and we discovered that he was not a fan!  Katelee, however, could not get enough of the frights.  We went to Trafalga with our friends and the boys tested the spook alley first.  Dave and the other dad came back with Grant saying it was legit, but definitely too scary for the littles.  Katelee insisted on accompanying my friend and I.  I may have hid behind her or my friend the whole time.  Katelee came out talking about the decorations being freaky and I honestly didn't see them because I ran through with my head down.  I may or may not have had her shield me from the scary actors as they came towards me, but I held on tight, so she must have felt safe! Ha!
Our annual traditions of the Witches

and our local pumpkin patch
were a real treat!!  We picked out pumpkins and got lost in the corn maze at the pumpkin patch.  It turned out to be a real trick.  We usually just have a little path to walk on, but they turned it in to a genuine maze this year. The kids went in with Dave and the never came out and never came out.  So, I figured someone was curled in a ball lost amongst the stalks.  I knew I could save them...then, I got lost.  They all made their way out and I got a phone call from Dave wondering where I was and Brenna was sniffing in the background worried about my safety.  Don't worry, we were reunited after 15 min or so!  Note to self: you are not cut out for corn mazes.

We had our Halloween dinner followed by a party for the girls and their friends.  
The girls blew eyeballs across the table, transported marshmallows with vampire teeth and played fear factor where they had to eat delicious items such as spew, ghost powder, blood clots, bat poop and the diaper of death.  It was a treat for them, a complete trick for Dave who tried to retreat to our bedroom and put on the soundproof headphones.  Party Pooper.  

We found a new activity-the Scarecrow Festival at Thanksgiving Point.  We voted for our favorite  scarecrows and basked in crisp fall air.  We happened up on the Light of the World Garden and were blown away.  We can't wait to go back and see that again.  
Our month was also filled with "regular" day to day activities.  One week was Red Ribbon week for the ladies.  They dressed up and one day had crazy hair day...
No lie, this is about the only day of the year I get compliments on my hair styling abilities.  I can't do braids or buns, but boy can I rat!  Yay me.

Grant had a very busy couple of months-he played soccer and flag football.  It was so fun to watch him.  He has become a good little athlete.  He quarterbacked a few games, was a great runner and receiver, scored touchdowns and loved flag football the most.
There were a few weeks he had a touchdown and then a goal!  Grant is a great goalie, even though he refused to play it most of the time.  The leprechauns are a fun team to cheer for!
Katelee also kept our days full with her rehearsals and performance of Aladdin Jr.  She was in the ensemble and said it was her favorite play she has been in thus far.  She really lights up the stage and even had the grandparents of the boy playing Aladdin tell her she stole the show! 

A good group of gals from the hood were in it too, so we got to see lots of familiar faces. 

All month long Brenna would ask how many days until Halloween, Harrison would walk around saying, "Yo-Ho HO, Happy Halloween" in a perfect Santa Claus voice.  Finally the day arrived!!  First thing in the morning I said, "Happy Halloween!" and Harrison, very moved with my greeting replied with a heartfelt "Thank You!"  Little did he know the terror the day would bring him!  We started out with the parade at the elementary school.  There were some great costumes.  Harry was laughing at a lot of them, but some freaked the kid out.  He turned to me at one point and said, "Mom, tell me about Jesus!" The kid needed some comfort!  

I helped out in my cute Skeleton's class
then had the party for an adorable little Ghost girl.
Our pizza was baked
and we were almost ready to head to our neighbor's for the eat before you treat dinner they always host.  Every year the kids beg Dave to dress up and not just wear a 'stupid t-shirt.'  This year, he had plans.  He borrowed an extra spooky Werewolf costume 
to surprise the kids with.  I knew someone was going to lose it (Harrison) and was kinda excited/nervous to see his reaction.  Well, after man had successfully morphed to wolf, I caught on camera the reaction.  Dave walked up the stairs from the basement and Harrison immediately held his hand out and said, "NO!" He screamed like he was facing his own death, was shaking in his Captain America boots and booked it to the bathroom where he insisted I lock the door.  

After some serious coaxing and comforting, we convinced our superhero that it was in fact Dad under the mask. Harrison would not sit by him at the street party, so Dave had to find some other nightmares to chill out with.  

The slice of pizza found the rest of the pie, 
and we all headed out trick or treating.  Katelee had her first year without an adult and Grant hit the streets with his buddies too.  I got to go around with Brenna and Harrison and our friends.  My jellyfish costume had been a hit at the ward trunk or treat and really was helpful on Halloween night because I knew the kids would be able to see me all the way down the road!!

While we don't feel as safe with Captain America being our protector anymore, we feel safe knowing that Dad did eventually turn back into David, just as Harrison had insisted needed to happen.  He kept saying that-"Dad needs to turn back into David!"


It was a tricky treat filled month!!

No comments: