Monday, November 27, 2017

Fall-in Back


Fall means Back To School!!  It also means getting into a routine and extra curricular activities.  So, here are the pic of our start to 7th, 5th, 2nd grades and preschool year 1. 

Grant started a new school this year!  He was anxious and excited to be going to the same junior high as his neighborhood friends, but leaving the charter he had been at for 7 years was a big deal.  Of course, he misses the dress code (ha! yea, right).  He has adjusted so well and is doing great.  He probably roams those halls with a smooth presence, as perfectly displayed here.  
Another season of soccer was started with Grant's team.  These kids have been playing together for years, but they had some additions to the group.  Grant has decided he would rather not play goalie, so he was out there running with the other Gold Rush teammates.

Scouts keeps Grant busy as well.  His troop worked on this huge tower-built it and put it up...


Jason, the scout master, left it up all week at his house, so all of us went to climb it.  It was pretty impressive.  Grant was awarded his star ranking and is getting really close to wrapping up the required merit badges and moving towards his eagle project. 


Fall means football (viewing only, not so much playing at our house).  Dave and Grant went to Louisiana to watch a BYU game.  The game was supposed to take place in Houston, but Hurricane Harvey changed those plans.  We were just glad that Serena, while evacuated from Houston, had no damage or danger from the hurricane. 

While in New Orleans, Grant dined on beignets

walked Bourbon Street (pretty much a street of sin),

had some VIP treatment at a posh hotel,

and watched BYU get creamed.  Game aside, I think the boys had fun. 

Dave and Grant stayed in Pensacola as well and were able to visit Grandma, Grandpa and Grandpa Church.  Grant also wrapped up his fishing merit badge with a handy net on the beach... way easier than using a pole out here!  Ha!



Beautiful Katelee Lyn started 5th grade and was busy right away.  She auditioned for Seussical Jr and had rehearsals right when school started. 



She worked very hard as a BIRD GIRL and boy did she flip her hair around on that stage. 

There were 3 of them as bird girls.  It was such a fun musical.  The kids all had a blast. 

There were 11 kids from our neighborhood, I believe.  This was convenient for carpooling and extra exciting to see so many familiar faces on stage.  One of the moms made all the kids in our hood Dr Seuss pillowcases.  Katelee uses hers every night. 



We loved going to see the performances and Katelee had tons of support. 


She just loves theatre.  It is fun to see her shine up there.  Katelee has also started taking tap dancing lessons.

 She is an excellent performing, but I think she better leave the stage makeup to someone else!


We already miss her teacher from last year, but Katelee is doing so well in 5th grade.  She has been given the opportunity for an extra science class which she is enjoying.  She won the school Reflections competitions in two categories-Music Composition and Photography.  So, I'm pretty excited to use those movie coupons!

It is one of my favorite things to watch Katelee and Brenna walk out the door and go to the bus stop.  I try and implant the image in my brain because I think it is so adorable.  I am so glad they have each other to go to school with.  I took a cute and deceptive picture of them on the first day.  Someday, just someday, they may be best friends!


Brenna, the second grade firecracker is a busy little lady.  She claims that 'dance is life' and I would almost believe it because it seems like she lives at the studio.  I can only imagine how much time we will be investing in this love of hers.  
She is loving school and dance and combined the two to win her Reflections competition in Dance choreography.  I went to pick up Brenna's little dance carpool and walked into the studio to hear random dancers telling their parents that someone tried to burn down the studio.  Sounded like a dangerous and eventful evening there.  We get in the car and start driving home, when one of Brenna's little buddies exclaims, "Kara, do you know what Brenna did today?"  Oh dear...I started putting two and two together and gently coaxed Brenna to explain what her friend may be discussing.  Brenna, not so gentle little Brenna, with a voice I can only describe as demonic, yelled at her friend and said 'thanks a lot, I was never going to tell my mom.'  Again, I am persuading to be informed, again Brenna is getting angry at her friend.  Finally, it comes out that Brenna stuck bobby pins in the electrical socket and experienced a mild shocking, as well as sparks shooting up the studio wall.  Luckily everyone was ok.  Brenna's other friend tried to explain to her that 'we want to tell our parents everything.'  She told Brenna, 'that's what they are there for, to help us and teach us so we don't make those mistakes again.'  Yea, Brenna wasn't buying it and insisted I was never going to be in the loop, if she had a say.  Great.  Happy parenting to me! Love this little spark!

Then, there is Harrison.  Harry started his first year of preschool and he couldn't love it more!
He also started soccer and he could love that more, like a lot more.  I am fairly certain he kicked the ball once.  But he did get a lot of time on the field kicking the dirt, flapping his wings, and hugging every player (to which his coach would firmly respond with 'Stop hugging, there is no hugging').  He also spent a fair amount of time yelling at players from opposing teams for being rude and getting the ball or pushing him.  Lets just say we are going to hold off on soccer for awhile...or ever...with this one.  But, hey, he sure loved those after the game treats!


I couldn't be mad at him long though, the games were hilarious.  We lost every one, terribly.  Good thing we always love our family despite of near studio burnings, masculine stage makeup, inappropriate displays of affection during competitive sports, etc.  Harrison tells me all the time how I am the best ever.    In fact, he recently said, "You are the best mom in the land.  You know who is next?  Mary, Jesus' mom."  So, I would say he has me on quite a pedestal, but it's good company for sure.  

No comments: