Because Grant had pioneer Trek and I knew we would want to fill our time doing good things this summer, I signed our family up to volunteer as pioneers at This is the Place Heritage Park. Everyone seemed fairly ok with my proposition, until we had training and Dave discovered that we would be in costume. I explained to him that he really wouldn't be joining us often, really only once maybe twice the entire season. I thought it would be nice if he had pioneer attire to match his family's. This is the response I got...
Lets just say that he wore it one time and let me take a picture but it never left the hanger again! hahaha Being a pioneer is not Dave's cup of tea and I'm trying to keep the little people upbeat about it. Not sure it is getting rave reviews from the older two, but Brenna and Harrison love it! Harrison will sing out in his famous "Haka-lujah" song when I tell him we are going. He thinks he is saying Hallelujah correctly, but I love it so much I don't want to inform him of the actual pronunciation. They have to check in at the school, have a lesson, then go on a task. This year the task is centered around the railroad in commemoration of the Golden Spike. As soon as they accomplish the task, they get a prize.
They then can earn a token for pony rides or panning for gold etc if they do a chore. I love putting them to work wherever I am volunteering.
Brenna also loves helping me give tours or share pioneer stories with guests. Grant stays busy doing his apprenticeship in the Tinsmith shop
while Katelee does needlework for hours
...no blood loss for her, but there have been some minor burns by our tinsmith. Grant refuses to let me say the name of our volunteer location and he gets really upset when I mention an upcoming shift. I have bribed them with a treat or lunch after each visit, so at least there is deliciousness involved at some point. Good or bad, memories are being made!! haha!
Grant was so busy in June with double camps-he went to Moab with the scouts and then the week after he went to EFY. He loved loved loved EFY. He made great friends and was not too thrilled to come home, so I guess that's a good sign.
We took everyone else to the ART festival while Grant was away. It's always a good time there-
authorization to paint on someone's walls, trying the instrument zoo, listening to unique musical acts, doing cool crafts. Dave and I always look forward to it. Katelee informed us that we are the only ones that like it, good thing we are forcing new experiences and culture on them! She seems happy enough here...
Harry was NOT happy when these trippy puppet things came walking around making odd sounds.
He found them to be the things of his nightmares and screamed bloody murder when we tried to get a picture. Brenna was a good sport, at least! She must have taken the artistic heart back home with her because I came across her expressing her displeasure like this the other day:
She pretty much could be a mime or clown with her storytelling makeup. Brenna doesn't really need the extra suggestive coloring on her face-she makes it pretty obvious when she is upset! She was yelling at me not too long ago and her little brother turned to me and said, "mom, is she having a breakdown?" He definitely is not one to talk, but summer can do that to a person...especially a mom!
Katelee was super busy with a production at Kensington Theatre. She was a Neverland Native in Peter Pan with her friend Emily.
She was an awfully cute and intimidating native!
Katelee also had Beehive camp. Because the older youth in our church are doing trek, girls camp was just with the Beehives. She had a good time despite leaders forcing some sleep meds on all the little ladies who weren't asleep by 11-which was pretty much everyone. I can't wait to experience camp with her next year-hopefully I will still be in YW and get to go!
And hello...BIG day at our house. On June 28 Mr David McArthur turned 40!!!
We decorated the house, put up banners on our doors and garage...which maybe caused some paint damage. Hey, it will always remind us of how much we love Dave! Grandma came over to babysit so I could surprise the birthday boy with a night out at a MAGIC SHOW!
We went to Mystique Dining where we had a 5 course meal and were entertained by a magician. It was really impressive and such a fun way to celebrate our main man!!! Fourty never looked so good!










No comments:
Post a Comment