Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Christmas tree battle...

This has not been our best week. We have been battling a stomach bug for the past few days, but I am happy to report that while the sickness left some battle wounds, we have (almost) overcome it! So now, I can share the fun pictures that we took on Saturday.


We started our weekend festivities with a breakfast with Santa (notice that Grant is in his pajamas.) Grant told Santa that he wanted a fire truck, so we will see if he remembers to bring him that! Katelee was not too fond of Santa, can you blame her?!

After breakfast, I had a baptism to attend and it was agreed that we would decorate our Christmas tree after. Now, Dave and I have had live trees the past Christmases, and while I may be called a Scrooge, or even dare I say, the Grinch...I have been begging for an artificial tree, but to no avail! This year I actually convinced Dave that an artificial tree is a necessity for our family. Some of you may remember the Charlie Brown Christmas tree incident a few years ago, or the lack of a saw that we have, or the near nervous breakdown I have every year stringing up the lights...it has never been a jolly time for our family. I talked to a lady at the baptism who picked up her live tree to have wasps fly out at her and spiders everywhere. I could only picture a flying squirrel next. Needless to say, a serious deliberation took place at our house...and we have an artificial tree!!! Dave said not to plan on it every year, but lets see what happens 2008! While he had a difficult time realizing his days of live Christmas trees may have passed, he has admitted our tree is really pretty! It was pre-lit, so we had a great time decorating!
The kids loved it too as you can tell!

Katelee was doing a jedi impression when we got her up from her nap!

Do you get a box to play in with a live tree?!!! I think not! So, if any of you wish to comment on the artificial vs. live tree dilemma at your house, I am very interested to know what you think!

4 comments:

Cagney and Laci said...

Artificial tress are just the way to go! They are cleaner, more cost effective, and easier to deal with. Of coarse a real tree does not come with a box, so the artificial tree wins by a long shot. Sure you don't have the smell, but you can buy a candle and get the same effect.

I think you gave me the stomach bug, how long does this thing last?

Katie said...

pros and cons of fake trees...
pros: no fire hazard, no relighting every year, no forking out bucks every year, no killing a beautiful living thing, no shedding needles on the carpet every day, no spilling water on the floor, no worries about disposing, no spiders, no deformed branches.
cons: takes up a shelf in the storage room, boohoo!

Cara said...

So, we to have had the battle which I must say, I have won! Artificial all the way. Our poor tree is 9 years old and is about due for retirement. Chy thinks that he will have a real one next year, but we shall see. And I agree with your friend one the pine candle. You can get one for 2 bucks at the For Every Body Outlet store.

And let me say Katelee is SO beautiful and Grant is just the cutest. You make some darn cute kids. Way to go!

Cara said...

Oh, and you just crack me up with your story telling you silly girl!