Thursday, May 31, 2012

Expectations

Everyone has expectations, even if at times we are unaware of them. At times, those expectations are spot on.  As a mother of girls, I assumed my female children would enjoy girly play and meeting princesses.  This has been confirmed with my little ladies in Disney and our recent adventure to Princess Amerah storytime at the library.  They were in heaven. 

Sometimes things exceed our expectations.  For example, I was fully prepared to be proud and a bit teary when our adorable Katelee graduated from preschool.  Here she is at her program. 



She sang her heart out.  I'm pretty sure she was the only one the audience could hear for many of the songs.  We were all beaming and so excited the graduate didn't forget to talk to the little people that helped her reach this accomplishment!


I have also learned that mostly, you have to expect the unexpected.  I suppose I expected that after 2 kids, I would have much of this parenting thing down when the third came along...but, then I also was aware that each child is incredibly different.  They are unique in temperment, interests, quirks and growth.  I expected Brenna to be an individual, but I didn't expect her to be HER!  I fully expect to see one of my children on tv...


but, I am concerned it may be on a program similiar to the current "My Strange Addiction"  (for those of you who haven't viewed this, these people have odd addictions-bathing in bleach, eating couch stuffing, eating comet, etc).  Brenna may be spotlighted by those producers.  She eats crayons, dirt, dog food and most recently plastic bowls.  Yes, bowls.  I expected to have to discipline her in her toddlerhood and find her in precarious situations.  I didn't expect to say things like, "Brenna, get your head out of the toliet!"  Tonight, I walked by the bathroom to see this little gem swishing her hair and face in the commode.  Oh my nastiness.  And I didn't expect to turn into a parent that takes pictures of their kids in gross situations, but look, I snapped a post potty water shot, right before she was thrown into the bath....


I am going to try to find that balance with expecting high standards and excellence from my kids while not assuming I know what is coming, because obviously I don't!

6 comments:

Dave and Hejdi Swan said...

Holy moly...I haven't been up on this blog stuff for a while now(obviously, since I haven't updated for almost a year) but, MAN am I glad I did tonight...this was hilarious!!! And everyone is growing up so much! And I think it's good you took an 'after' pic, because before I saw it I was thinking you had to be exaggerating a bit...but nope! ;) Love it!! We all need to get together soon. Thanks for the laugh!

Michelle said...

Aaron and I are hysterically laughing at Brenna!! Oh my goodness she is a character.

Cagney and Laci said...

Oh my heavens! That Brenna is keeping you on your toes! I am so thankful that you took a picture with toilet water and all....I have a feeling this is going to be a great story to tell on her wedding day at a wedding luncheon. LOL!

Angela said...

We had a similar experience with Kate in the Ikea bathroom, luckily she was just using the water on her hands to style her hair, not a full dunk. Our motto might have to be, "we will survive."

Lisa McArthur said...

Carl and Catherine are here now, and Catherine and I were just talking about her today!! We have got to get together so we can meet Miss Brenna because, again, Megan loves all the things that her and Brenna share, namely their birth weight, grandma's name for their middle name, and the red hair!! Never a dull moment huh? Love you guys!!

Dubb Days said...

Oh, Kara, always so cleverly put. yes, expecting the unexpected is spot on. Putting her head in the toilet...wow..well do you think you freaked out a little less because it was number 3 and Brenna then, say, if Grant had done it?
Glad you are all still alive and well!