As soon as winter is over, Dave starts lamenting about the heat and wishing for cool weather. So, when we drag him out into the sunshine, it often ends up like this-the high temperatures just draining the poor guy and him insisting on shade. This was at the park before the fireworks on the 4th of July.
Earlier that morning, Brenna and Dave had run the local 5k, so the fatigue from that that probably caught up to him too ;). Brenna has been saying how badly she wanted to run a race with her dad and of course he was up for it. The rest of us opted out...and Brenna thinks she will opt out next year. She did amazingly...for the first couple of minutes and then she did not enjoy it.
Maybe she will train next time and become a runner- but for now, she is sticking with dance.
We love 4th of July at our city park and this year was just as great as previous years- food at our house before and then fireworks and games. Please note Harrison's tattoo right at the base of his neck. It was displayed perfectly with his hand me down v-neck flag football jersey.
The rest of the month was not short on hot fun! Harrison had Camp Tracy with the other little turkeys in our activity days group
as well as the older girls in our primary.
It was a warm, dusty fun morning up the canyon! The kids canoed, played gaga ball, did archery, a mini rock wall, and shot bb guns. Harrison's gun malfunctioned so he was not a happy camper.
But he managed to get over it, eventually and we got a fabulous pic, so we can add that activity to the positive experiences of the day. The next week Brenna and Katelee had girls camp at Heber Valley. I had to drop them off and run out of the parking lot without helping them load up because I was feeling FOMO so bad. It will be the first year in like 6-7 years I didn't get to be involved or go to a camp for the summer (covid we still did a camp day). They had a great time and came home happy!
Harrison and I decided to play a bit while they were out and we to see one of my most favorite productions- Newsies. I am so happy Harrison wanted to go and he even liked it! a lot! He is such a fun kid to hang out with. I always have an audiobook saved to my phone so when I drive in the car alone, I often turn it on. I plugged in my phone the other day while driving with my pal Harry and the book automatically turned on. Harrison said, "Ya know mom, I would listen to books with you if you would just lay off the romance and Nazis." Sorry son, that's all there is in the world!! hahaha. We do read books together, so I have expanded my horizons to fantasy and juvenile non-fiction as well. I am actually surprised he said to lay off the World War II books because he is quite the historian. One minute he's asking me to look up spiderman and sports facts and then the next minute he legit asks me to look up which countries have "absolute monarchy" or '"fascism" Thank heavens for Google.
Brenna and Kate spent a week at Oakcrest. Katelee never got to go because you know, world wide pandemic. So, I was thrilled Brenna got to experience this once in a lifetime camp!
The counselor they were originally assigned ended up having to leave the first day and they scored with the best counselor ever! This amazing leader had the girls growing and loving and laughing all week.
Core memories made for our little teenager!
Brenna has spent her summer at Lagoon over and over again. That season pass has come in clutch. Katelee got to go to Lake Powell with her friend Berkeley and Berkeley's family. She killed the wave surfing and loved every steamy minute down there. Meanwhile, Harrison and I explored places like Kennecott Copper Mine.
We did a full family event (minus Grant who did come home for a few weeks from Miami which was a bad experience of selling and moved on to a different company selling pest control in Louisiana). Dave scored tickets to the Kamas demolitian derby and we had the best time! No major injuries were observed and the smashing was spot on! Such a classic small town summer tradition.
We melted at our minor league baseball game while Grandma McArthur was in town. We had to split up where we sat- we had a big group of Shannon, Paige, Jason and their kids and Brenna, Harrison, Dave and Catherine. I had quite the uncomfortable set up with the gentleman behind me, but it gave me a perfect view of Harrison's hat he assembled and insisted on wearing to the game....
The Bees are a training team for the Angels, so it made perfect sense to wear his Angels gear with a Bees mini helmet taped on top. We loved staying for the fireworks and checked another fun event off our summer bucket list.
This post should be wrapped up how it began-with an outing that ended up with Dave asleep after lamenting about the heat. We took Brenna and Harrison to the drive in to see Haunted Mansion. It was super stuffy, I will agree to that, but it was a great time and fun movie...Dave will have to catch the ending later. He couldn't quite catch the whole story through the snoring! Haha














No comments:
Post a Comment