Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Boston Buddies

I just returned from a fantastic vacation to Boston! Thanks again to Dave for planning this and surprising me with it! My friend Alisha and I flew out to see our friend Laci who lives in Beantown. We have all been friends since we were five years old and they both always have me laughing. At risk of reporting our entire itinerary...I will do a brief overview of the events: Our first night we went candle pin bowling, small pins, small balls-easy you may think? Not so much, but I won, and I never win bowling here, so I was a fan. The next day we hit the road and began our historical adventures from Lexington to Concord. It is an incredible experience to be where our country began its road to independence and learn about the very first battle. We found our own private Minute Man (see below) who led us around the square. The Minute Man museum is really interactive, loved it and learned a ton. Pretty much I will forever have April 19, 1775 in my head...if you want to know more about that date, call me. We also drove to Walden Pond, which is incredibly tranquil and gorgeous. We hit up Louisa May Alcott's house and went past Emerson and Hawthorne's house as well. The weather was cool and drizzly and yes, maybe we grumbled a bit, but when the next two days turned out to be sticky sweaty, we wished for our rain back!
Later that night, we were off to Fenway to watch the Red Sox! I had been diligently trying to learn the names of the players before I went out there(well, okay not diligently, but I did watch Fever Pitch), but it was all in vain because none of the good players were on the roster! They lost, but we had a great time.

The next day we hit all of the city of Boston we possibly could. We started off at Boston Commons, on to the Boston Gardens and the Swan boats, walked the Freedom Trail to see so many great historical sites: the graveyard with Paul Revere and John Hancock, the South Meeting House, the Old North Church (apparently I never stopped asking about it all day and when I did see it, boy did I jump for joy!!), Feneuil Hall, Paul Revere Park etc. We also had to go to Mike's Pastry's and grab a bite there. We finished our day with a Sunset Sail and pretty much a photo shoot on the boat...here is a picture of Laci and I staring off into the horizon, wind blowing through our hair. The glamor shots and pirate pictures we took of ourselves were pretty entertaining as well. The next morning we were up for a walk around the Charles River and church in the good old boiler building.
Well, as the sun set on my Boston adventure...I realized that we had a fantabulous time and another stash of laughs and memories to draw from! Thanks again to Laci for letting us come to her house and showing us around...Christian, her husband for being our slave boy for the weekend and putting up with us rowdy girls... and McDuff the dog for not being too heart broken when I discovered I was allergic to his hair and had to break up with him.

14 comments:

Becky said...

What the... Are you even surprised these days when Dave sends you away on a trip? It's getting old, Dave. Really. Quit rubbing in your money bags and charm.

Thanks a ton,
Becky

P.S. If you couldn't tell, I am really jealous. Aside from being a Yankees fan, I completely LOVE Boston. Glad you had fun!

Aubrey said...

Sounds like you had fun, good for you to take that time away.

kelsey said...

Wow, I'm so jealous... what a cool trip!

kelsey said...

p.s. love the glam shot!

Jen said...

I am so jealous that looks like a ton of fun!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kara - It's Ryan Christensen. My wife was blog stalking and found your blog from Melanie Miller's. I can't believe you have two kids! Last time I remember seeing you was when you were pregnant and still working at UCCU. Where are you guys living now-a-days? We moved from Saratoga back up to Sandy. I found an old seminary council picture the other day - I can't believe it's been almost 10 years.

Cara said...

Your husband is seriously amazing! Looks like you had such a great time. The pictures are great. You look totally energized. Good for you!

Melissa said...

Cara - it's Melissa. What's your email?

Dubb Days said...

How fun for you and Alisha to go out there! I can only imagine you three on the streets of Boston laughing away because you are all hilarious! How nice for you and nice of Dave!

Kara said...

Melissa...my email is: kpmcarthur@msn.com now you can let me into your elite blog!! :)

Kara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

WHY DIDN'T YOU TAKE ME WITH YOU???

Melissa said...

Oh yea! It's elite! So elite, in fact, that I don't even know how to get onto it. I'll have Ryan send you over an invite.